Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Visiting Simba

I am ridiculously excited for this. I am beyond excited. I have been dreaming of this chance since I first saw the Lion King in theaters. That was a long time ago.

Of course, I'm talking about the chance to go to Africa. Specifically, the chance to visit the Shamwari Game Reserve in South Africa. Every summer Shamwari hosts a program for vet students and pre-vet students to get them some hands on experience with the African wildlife. And as a vet student, I've been assured that if any sick animal comes in I will get first dibs. On everything. So I'm going to get college credits to go somewhere I've always wanted to go and take care of elephants and lions. It doesn't get better than that.

The program is a mixture of lecture and practical experience. Lectures topics are along the lines of wildlife restraint, pharmacology, wildlife diseases, and wildlife rehabilitation. Then we get some practical lessons too, like in darting (shooting a tranquilizer dart to be able to safely approach and work on an animal), monitoring elephants, ear notching rhinos (for identification), large carnivore immobilization, performing post-mortems, and then a day where we get to act as the vet in charge. The course lasts less than 2 weeks but you walk away with more knowledge then you would get from certain semester-long classes.

So of course I really want to go. The catch? The price tag. Isn't it always.

The airfare out to Port Elizabeth is more expensive than the actual program. And the program gives me housing and three meals a day. Good thing I have 8 months to come up with the money! And that one of my best friends is going to go and fundraise with me. Together I think we can pull this off.

We will be hosting a ton of fundraising events over the next several months in an effort to raise money for my trip. Check out all of my gigs on Fiverr.com under soleilfleur21- it doesn't cost you much, and every little bit helps me! Plus you can get some pretty awesome stuff in return. Who doesn't want a picture of my lizards dressed like a bride and groom?

We are also hoping to host some pet Christmas photo sessions with some santa and elf hats. Jenn is an amazing amazing photographer, and as you will see on my Fiverr I am good at dressing animals up in cute clothes =] I can do more than just lizards, I promise! And if you are in the Stillwater/OK area, keep your eyes and ears open for some nights at Ibiza bar and lounge!

I am so excited to have this amazing opportunity, it really would be fulfilling a childhood dream to be out on the safari. I just need to get myself there! And if I could get myself to vet school with everyone telling me the odds were most definitely not in my favor, then there isn't a single reason I can't get myself to Africa. With your help, too, of course. =]

My Fiverr Gigs

No comments:

Post a Comment